Skinny Mac and Cheese – Italian Style
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook and Bake Time: 40 minutes
(I prepare beforehand and bake it on the night I need it)
2 cups (8 ounces) dry Barilla Whole Grain Elbows pasta or penne, see shopping tip
1 (10 oz) container Buitoni Light Alfredo Sauce, see shopping tip
1 (9 oz) package frozen and thawed chopped spinach, well drained
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
¼ cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light, melted
1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon dried basil
1 egg, I like using Egg-land’s Best eggs
A small dash of salt and black pepper, to taste
½ cup shredded (2%) reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat a 9×9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. You can use glass or metal.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Cook only for 6 minutes so it will not be overcooked. No need to add salt to water! Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together Alfredo sauce, drained spinach, cottage cheese, milk, butter and garlic. Add pasta and mix really well. Blend in egg, basil, salt and pepper. Be sure it’s all mixed together well.
4.Transfer pasta to the prepared baking dish.
5. Sprinkle the top evenly with mozzarella cheese
6. Bake casserole 25 minutes until golden brown. Let casserole rest for 10
minutes. Cut into 6 serving. This casserole freeze great!
Makes 6 servings (about 1½ cups each
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (about 1½ cups each)
293 calories, 9g fat, 18g protein, 36g carbs, 5g fiber, 593mg sodium, 5g sugar